Patricia Chevez-Barrios, MD
Director, Ophthalmic Pathology Fellowship Program
Department of Pathology and Genomic Medicine
The Methodist Hospital Physician Organization
Director, The Methodist Hospital Research Institute Summer Student Program
Director, Ocular Pathology Research Laboratory
The Methodist Hospital Research Institute
Co-Director, Retinoblastoma Center of Houston
Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine and Ophthalmology
Weill Cornell Medical College of Cornell University
6565 Fannin Street, Suite M227
Houston, Texas 77030
Dr. Chévez-Barrios received her M.D. degree from the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México in México City, México. After finishing her postdoctoral training programs, including a residency in ophthalmology and a residency in anatomic and clinical pathology, Dr. Chévez-Barrios joined the faculty of the Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas in 1996 as an assistant professor in the Department of Pathology, with a secondary appointment in the Department of Ophthalmology. She became a clinical assistant professor in the Department of Ophthalmology there in 2004, and received the Fulbright & Jaworski LLP Award for Faculty Excellence in Teaching and Evaluation. She became an associate member of the Cell and Gene Therapy Center that same year. She has current appointments of adjunct professor in the Department of Pathology at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center and Department of Ophthalmology at the Baylor College of Medicine. Dr. Chévez- Barrios assumed her current positions at Methodist in 2004, including directing the Ocular Pathology Research Laboratory at The Methodist Hospital Research Institute (TMHRI). In 2009, the Retinoblastoma Center of Houston was formed as a consortium of physicians and scientists from four renowned institutions within the Texas Medical Center and Dr. Chévez-Barrios assumed the position of Co-Director of Research, as well as the ophthalmic pathologist for the center. She received her faculty appointments in the Departments of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, and Ophthalmology at the Weill Cornell Medical College in 2010.
Dr. Chévez-Barrios is a general surgical pathologist with subspecialty interest in ophthalmic pathology. Her main research interest is the study of retinoblastoma, including investigations into suicide gene therapy for the disease, the study of its metastatic properties, and preclinical tumor models. Other topics of interest are preclinical models of ocular disease, ocular gene therapy, cataractogenesis, vascular proliferation in hypoxic ocular diseases, lymphoma, ocular cytology, temporal arteritis and corneal infectious diseases.
Representative Recent Publications
Bingham BA, Hatef DA, Chevez-Barrios P, Blackmon SH, Kim MP. Increased FDG Activity in a Dermatofibroma in Esophageal Cancer Patient. Clin Nucl Med. 2013 Mar;38(3):e140-2.
Wadhwa L, Bond WS, Perlaky L, Overbeek PA, Hurwitz MY, Chévez-Barrios P, Hurwitz RL. Embryonic Retinal Tumors in SV40 T-Ag Transgenic Mice Contain CD133+ Tumor-Initiating Cells. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2012 Jun 8;53(7):3454-62.
- Shinder R, Ramirez SA, Chévez-Barrios P, Gombos DS. Re: "retinoblastoma associated orbital cellulitis". Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2012 May;28(3):235-7.
- Hwang CK, Aaberg TM Jr, Chevez-Barrios P, Verner-Cole E, Gombos DS, Paysse E, Chintagumpala M, Gao W, Grossniklaus HE. Residual intraretinal retinoblastoma after chemoreduction failure. Arch Ophthalmol. 2012 Feb;130(2):246-8.
Dhar SU, Chintagumpala M, Noll C, Chévez-Barrios P, Paysse EA, Plon SE. Outcomes of integrating genetics in management of patients with retinoblastoma. Arch Ophthalmol. 2011 Nov;129(11):1428-34.
Bond WS, Wadhwa L, Perlaky L, Penland RL, Hurwitz MY, Hurwitz RL, Chèvez-Barrios P. Establishment and propagation of human retinoblastoma tumors in immune deficient mice. J Vis Exp. 2011 Aug 4;(54).
- Blieden LS, Chévez-Barrios P, Yen MT. Herpes Simplex Vegetans Presenting as an Eyelid Mass. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2011 May-Jun;27(3):e58-9.
- Ildefonso CJ, Kong L, Leen A, Chai SJ, Petrochelli V, Chintagumpala M, Hurwitz MY, Chévez-Barrios P, Hurwitz RL. Absence of Systemic Immune Response to Adenovectors After Intraocular Administration to Children With Retinoblastoma. Mol Ther. 2010 Oct;18(10):1885-90.
- Lee EI, Chévez-Barrios P, Soparkar CN. Metaplastic bone formation in the orbit. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2010 Mar-Apr;26(2):120-2.
- Matoba AY, Chevez-Barrios P, Jones DB. Atypical corneal immunoglobulin deposition in a patient with dysproteinemia. Cornea. 2010 Jan;29(1):105-7.
- Chévez-Barrios P. The current face of ophthalmic pathology. Arch Ophthalmol. 2009 Aug;127(8):1048-9.
- Raparia K, Chang CC, Chévez-Barrios P. Intraocular lymphoma: diagnostic approach and immunophenotypic findings in vitrectomy specimens. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2009 Aug;133(8):1233-7.
- Sastre X, Chantada GL, Doz F, Wilson MW, de Davila MT, Rodríguez-Galindo C, Chintagumpala M, Chévez-Barrios P; International Retinoblastoma Staging Working Group. Proceedings of the consensus meetings from the International Retinoblastoma Staging Working Group on the pathology guidelines for the examination of enucleated eyes and evaluation of prognostic risk factors in retinoblastoma. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2009 Aug;133(8):1199-202.
- Chévez-Barrios P. The current face of ophthalmic pathology. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2009 Aug;133(8):1195-6.
- Rodriguez-Galindo C, Wilson MW, Chantada G, Fu L, Qaddoumi I, Antoneli C, Leal-Leal C, Sharma T, Barnoya M, Epelman S, Pizzarello L, Kane JR, Barfield R, Merchant TE, Robison LL, Murphree AL, Chevez-Barrios P, Dyer MA, O'Brien J, Ribeiro RC, Hungerford J, Helveston EM, Haik BG, Wilimas J. Retinoblastoma: one world, one vision. Pediatrics. 2008 Sep;122(3):e763-70. Review.
- Kong L, Mintz-Hittner HA, Penland RL, Kretzer FL, Chévez-Barrios P. Intravitreous bevacizumab as anti-vascular endothelial growth factor therapy for retinopathy of prematurity: a morphologic study. Arch Ophthalmol. 2008 Aug;126(8):1161-3.
- Chantada GL, Doz F, Orjuela M, Qaddoumi I, Sitorus RS, Kepak T, Furmanchuk A, Castellanos M, Sharma T, Chévez-Barrios P, Rodriguez-Galindo C; on behalf of the International Retinoblastoma Staging Working Group: World disparities in risk definition and management of retinoblastoma: A report from the International Retinoblastoma Staging Working Group. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2008 Mar;50(3):692-4.
- Gombos DS, Chevez-Barrios P. Current treatment and management of retinoblastoma. Curr Oncol Rep. 2007 Nov;9(6):453-8.
- Chong EM, Coffee RE, Chintagumpala M, Hurwitz RL, Hurwitz MY, Chevez-Barrios P., Extensively necrotic retinoblastoma is associated with high-risk prognostic factors. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2006 Nov;130(11):1669-72.
- Chevez-Barrios P. Frozen section diagnosis and indications in ophthalmic pathology. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2005 Dec;129(12):1626-34.
- Chévez-Barrios P, Chintagumpala M, Mieler W, Paysse E, Boniuk M, Kozinetz C, Hurwitz MY, Hurwitz RL. Response of retinoblastoma with vitreous tumor seeding to adenovirus-mediated delivery of thymidine kinase followed by ganciclovir. J Clin Oncol. 2005 Nov 1;23(31):7927-35