Do you know a resident who is trying to turn back the clock?
Excessive work hours may include:
- Working longer than 80 hours/week
- Having no 24-hour period (1 day) free of educational and clinical responsibilities
- Having no 10 hours off between daily duty periods
- Taking in-house call more often than every third night
- Having continuous duty lasting more than 30 hours
- Seeing new patients after 24 hours of continuous duty
- Taking beeper call 7 days a week
To report resident duty hours in excess of the requirements call the Business Practices Ethics line at 800-500-0333 or send your information via online form. All calls and online forms are treated confidentially, and no caller will be asked to identify him or herself.