6550 Fannin Street
Smith Tower Suite 1401
Houston, TX 77030
Education - Brian Bruckner, M.D.
- University of Florida College of Medicine
- Baylor College of Medicine
- Baylor College of Medicine
- Texas Heart Institute
Areas of Excellence
- Cardiothoracic surgery
- Cardiovascular surgery
- Heart transplant
- Lung transplant
- Thoracic surgery
- Stem cells
- Cardiac tumors
- Ventricular assist devices
Biography - Brian Bruckner, M.D.
Dr. Brian Bruckner is an attending surgeon within the Department of Cardiovascular Surgery and Transplantation at The Methodist DeBakey Heart & Vascular Center. He is currently Associate Director of Mechanical Circulatory Support and Director of Cardiovascular Regenerative Medicine at The Methodist Hospital, Department of Cardiovascular Surgery and Assistant Professor of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Weill Medical College of Cornell University. Dr. Bruckner
completed his medical school training at the University of Florida and came to Houston for residency and fellowship. He completed his general surgery training at Baylor College of Medicine and completed a cardiothoracic surgery and transplant fellowship at the Texas Heart Institute. Dr. Bruckner joined the Cardiovascular Surgery Department at The Methodist Hospital in 2008.
Dr. Bruckner's clinical expertise includes Cardiac Surgery, Thoracic Transplant Surgery, and Heart Assist Device Implantation Surgery.
Dr. Bruckner is very active in conducting basic science and clinical research. His research interests include Myocardial Remodeling During Left Ventricular Assist Device Support and Cardiac Stem Cell Therapy.
- Bruckner BA, Stetson SJ, Youker KA, Farmer JA, Weilbaecher D, Radovancevic B, Frazier OH, Noon GP, Torre-Amione G. “The Effect of Left Ventricular Assist Device Support on Cardiac Structure: Implications for Cardiac Recovery” Am J Surg. 2000 Dec;180(6):498-501.
- Bruckner BA, Stetson SJ, Razeghi P, Abrahms J, Frazier OH, Entman M, Noon GP, DeBakey ME, Frazier, OH, Youker KA. “Degree of Cardiac Fibrosis and Hypertrophy at Time of Implantation Predicts Myocardial Improvement During LVAD Support.” J Heart Lung Transplant. 2004 Jan;23(1):36-42.
- Bruckner BA, Dibardino DJ, Cumbie TC, Trinh C, Fisher RG, Mattox KL, Wall MJ.“A Critical Look at Computed Tomography Scans for Blunt Chest Trauma and The Promising Role of 3-Dimensional Image Reconstruction for Defining Descending Thoracic Aortic Injury.” Ann Thorac Surg. 2006 Apr;81(4):1339-46.
- Bruckner BA, Jacob LP, Gregoric ID, Loyalka P, Kar B, Cohn WE, La Francesca S, Radovancevic B, Frazier OH. “Clinical Experience with the TandemHeart Percutaneous Ventricular Assist Device as a Bridge to Cardiac Transplantation.” Tex Heart Inst. J. 2008;35(4):447-450.
- Bruckner BA, Ghodsizad A, Loebe M, Beyer EA, Ramchandani M, Ruhparwar A, Karck M, Burchardt E, Patel AN, Reardon MJ. “Surgical Stem Cell Therapy for Advanced Heart Failure Patients.” The Journal of the Methodist DeBakey Heart and Vascular Center. 2009 May(5.2):13-16.