Cardiac computed tomography, or cardiac CT, is a noninvasive, painless cardiac imaging test that uses X-rays to take detailed pictures of the heart.
The Methodist DeBakey Heart & Vascular Center is proud to offer 64 slice cardiac CT, a revolutionary heart scan for diagnosing conditions of the heart and blood vessels. 64 slice cardiac CT is an innovative alternative to invasive tests such as cardiac catheterization and coronary angiography. It’s comfortable, noninvasive, detailed and fast.
How the test works:
- The scanner rotates around your body and quickly takes "slices" (cross-section images) of your heart, each of which covers slightly more than a half millimeter in width.
- These digital images are reassembled to form a highly detailed 3D picture of your entire chest cavity, including your heart, arteries, veins and aorta.
- Images are interpreted by a Level III imaging cardiologist, a physician specially trained in examining visual data to diagnose cardiovascular conditions.
The detailed results of a 64 slice CT can be used for detecting and diagnosing many different conditions, particularly in patients who have had other tests with inconclusive results. These conditions include:
- Presence and levels of calcium in coronary arteries
- Coronary artery disease that's significant enough to affect circulation
- Artery blockage or patency (openings that interfere with proper blood flow)
- Physical defects of the heart, including masses
- Congenital heart disease
- Aortic dissection (a tear in the wall of the aorta) and blood clots in the lungs
- Heart rhythm disorders
For more information about cardiac CT services at the Methodist DeBakey Heart & Vascular Center, please call 713-DEBAKEY (332-2539) or complete our online contact us form.